EDUCATIONAL & ENTERTAINMENT Company
BOG: Medieval Armoured Combat Entertainment (M.A.C.E.) - Professional Sword Fighters
Blades of Glory Medieval Armoured Combat Entertainment (M.A.C.E.) is a
Combat system that has evolved over 21 years of Medieval fighting. The combat system has taken into account Historical European Martial Arts from both the
Italian and German perspectives in a judged duel and married them with safety measures to give the participants (and the audience) the enjoyment of Medieval
combat with less risk of major injury. We have eliminated both the thrust and the grappling aspect that are present in other philosophies but still
maintaining the Historical guards (defensive/offensive).
There are many Medieval combat programs out there, each with their followers. but none are true
That is amazing. So many more people are getting into this new sport. This must be said though... All Sword Fighting systems allow for alterations
due to not using sharp swords. Whether the sword is made from foam; plastic pipe/wooden dowel/foam/duct tape; rattan; polypropelene; or unsharpened metal,
unless one uses REAL sharp swords (even blunt swords alter the true capabilities of the sword) then you truly are not fighting or dueling as they did a few hundred years ago.
MACE uses unsharpened metal swords, usually 2mm to 4mm edges. Our "Knights" wear full armour - Leather, maille (butted or riveted), scale or plate.
MACE's Combat Duels are judged 2 minute rounds. Points are awarded for a solid hit with the edge of the weapon on the head, torso, arm (above the elbow),
and leg (above the knee). The goal is not to strike the joints (elbow, knee) - again for safety reasons. Strikes that hit with the flat of the blade
do not count either. Strikes that deflect off of a block (sword or shield) are judges descretion (did majority of the hit get deflected or did it power
through the block). Each of the warriors get their choice of weapon (and/or shield) regardless of what their opponent takes - unlike some systems that
insist that whatever your opponent takes, you must take the same. One gets to experience the strengths and weaknesses of the various weapons and fighting
Training is every Sunday in Hastings (May to December) at Blades of Glory's
Training Facility, and in Campbellford at the Trent Hills Martial Arts dojo (January to April) at 23 Saskatoon Ave., Campbellford.
The people training have the ability to advance to become a professional
swordfighter in Blades of Glory Medieval Fighting shows at our theme park "The Realm" or in our touring shows across Ontario, depending on ability,
ommitment and personality.
Blades of Glory organizes the Hastings Medieval Festival on Labour Day
weekend, annually. The next Festival is on Saturday September 1 & Sunday September 2, 2018.
There were 7 different sword fighting groups that attended in 2017:
- LARP: Live Action Role Play - LINNAGOND Amtgard from Peterborough, Ontario
- SCA: Society for Creative Anachronism - Petrea Thule from Peterborough, Ontario
- PFC: Peterborough Fencing Club
- HEMA: Historical European Martial Arts - Ironwood Sword School from Kingston, Ontario
- HEMA: " " " " - Ottawa Swordplay, from Ottawa, Ontario
- Viking Reenactment: Wulfthorpe Viking Reenactment, from Waterloo, Ontario
- MACE: Blades of Glory, from Hastings Ontario
The new recruits start training in Sword & Heater Shield.
Other weapon training & fighting styles includes: Longsword, Weapon (sword, axe, flail) & Round shield (center boss and strapped), Sword & Buckler,
Sword & Dagger, polearm, 2 weapons.
Blades of Glory M.A.C.E., you will learn:
- Safety - to be safe with the weapon
- Stance Work - foot work, various styles and movement (linear & circular)
- Endurance - you need the endurance for 5 minute rounds wearing up to 80 LBS /35 KG, from -20 to 40 Degree Celcius weather
- Shield Work - ability to block the sword without thinking using various shield designs & sizes
- Sword Technqiues - various techniques to score points, utilizing both German & Italian Guards
- Sword Control - most important, controlling the weapon at all times, using both right & left hands, handgrips,
- Psychology - self-analysis, analysis of your opponent(s), what weapon to choose based on what your oppoent chooses (same or different)
- Awareness - in the fighting list, distance (considering weapon length, opponent's arm/leg length & stride)
- Thrusting - you have to know how to defend against a thrust - even though MACE doesn't do it
- Showmanship - Ability to do all the above and inspire the crowd to cheer for you and not your opponent - sometimes with fancy moves
Cost is $20 per lesson
You will need to bring:
- Loose fitting clothing (track pants & a long sleeve shirt)
- Athletic Supporter (jock)
- Gloves (leather, work, garden, etc.)
- Shoes (workboots, army boots, running shoes - last choice)
Blades of Glory provides:
- Qualified Instructors
- Swords for training
- Shields for training (wood)
Blades of Glory sells training swords and shields.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact us:
2015 Blades of Glory